Tuesday, June 5, 2012

30 weeks, 5 days - Stranger Comments & Breast Feeding Class

I've said for a long time that I was kind of waiting for strangers to recognize that I'm pregnant and that would be a sign that I'm really, officially showing.  Not the kind of showing that people who know you really well can tell, but the kind that just anyone can tell.  It happened yesterday.  And it was funny and cute and surprising.  The postings from my "birth club" on BabyCenter made it sound like it was going to be horrible and that I'd be plagued with thoughtlessly rude comments, but my first experience with a stranger's comment was an absolute delight.  I was taking a walk yesterday during my lunch break and I walked past a construction site.  I know construction workers have a stigma associated with them and the stereotype is that they're crude and whistle or cat call at women, but these guys are always nice and smile at us and say hello.  Well yesterday, I was walking by and was on the phone with Matt when I passed a big guy who gave me this giant toothy grin as I passed and said, "Hey!  Congratulations!"  At first I wasn't sure what he was congratulating me on, but after a few seconds it was clear.  And he really seemed genuinely happy and happy for me.  Like he was so delighted that I was bringing another child into the world that he couldn't contain it.  You know that kind of smile where you can tell someone is genuinely happy?  When their smiles go up into their eyes and they sort of twinkle at you?  Like his smile just bubbled up and burst out of him.  I realize that I associated a whole lot of emotion and internal commentary to a single smile and two words, but it was just a really nice human moment.

Also, yesterday I went to a breast feeding class at the hospital where I'm going to deliver.  It was wonderful.  I was shocked by how many people were in the class (I'd say 35-50 plus their partners), too.  I wasn't sure about taking the class but I'd heard so many stories about women having trouble nursing that I figured I might as well just take the class to see what I could see.  Turns out, it was a very good move.  The class was fantastic.  The instructor was fantastic.  I learned a lot and had an overall really great experience.  I wish Matt had been able to come, but Sheri came with me and took copious notes so I wasn't alone.  It really made me look forward to our birthing class and for my infant care skills class which will both be in July.  It was also really fun to look at all the pregnant women of all different shapes and sizes and ages and ethnicities and socioeconomic backgrounds.  I mean, it was in Arlington, so there weren't THAT much ethnic or socioeconomic diversity, but it really was pretty cool to see so many different bellies and belly sizes.  Sheri and I kept pointing out people and wondering how far along they were.  It would be kind of fun to know which bellies were almost ready and which still had a while to cook.  Just kind of interesting to see how different bodies develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment