Friday, June 1, 2012

30 weeks, 1 day - Glucose Update

Met with the endocrinologist today (diabetes doctor).  She was fantastic.  My blood sugar was actually too low this time, so that was kind of annoying.  The doctor asked me why my OB sent me to her instead of sending me to get the 3-hour glucose test to confirm whether or not I have gestational diabetes.  I told her that because of my family history and because we did the screen later than it's generally done, my OB preferred to send me straight to the endocrinologist to have her make decisions as opposed to waiting longer.  She explained to me that since my sugar was low today, I clearly don't have out of control, untreated g. diabetes so that's good and that most women who do have it are able to control it with diet.  That's the same thing my OB said, but I told the endo doc (Dr. Go) that I was really frustrated with everything I read because I've been so careful about my diet already.  She was just wonderful and listened and explained things to me so thoroughly.  She walked me through everything that would happen if I do in fact have it and gave me a glucometer with which to test my sugar.  She then explained my options to me: basically, I can either take the 3 hour test or just skip it and start monitoring my sugar.  I told her that I'd prefer to know for sure and she said that she agreed with me and that's what her recommendation would have been but that she preferred for me to make the decision.

Here's how it goes from here: I have the 3 hour test on Wednesday am.  The results should be available to Dr. Go as early as Thursday at which point she'll call me and tell me what's up.  If I do have it, she'll call in a prescription to my pharmacy for testing strips and I'll start monitoring my sugar four times a day and will set up an appointment to meet with her again and go over my sugar levels with her once I get back from the babymoon.  I'll make an appointment with a nutritionist also and discuss what sort of changes need to be made in my diet to keep my sugar levels normal.  If I don't have it, then no worries, the screen gave a false positive, and all is well with the world.  Until I take the test, I should continue on with my regular diet and exercise regimen.

So, while I don't really know anything more than I did yesterday, I feel a lot better because the Dr. Go spent so much time with me listening and explaining things.  She was really fantastic.  How lucky I am to have so many great doctors around!

Oh, and she also said, "Wow, you do NOT look 30 weeks pregnant.  That's amazing."  After I told her that people frequently say that, she said, "Oh, well it's a good thing.  You know that, right?  You know that it's a compliment and that you should take it as such."  I told her that since I'm gaining weight as I should and as far as the OB is concerned, everything is growing the way it should, I'm not worried but that it was nice to get extra medical reassurance.  Like I said, she was really, really nice.

1 comment:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly with the hooray for great doctors; they can make such an enormous difference. Our regular doctor is another case in point--she called and got 'manda a next-day appointment when originally they told us they couldn't see her until July!!

    ReplyDelete