Monday, June 18, 2012

32 weeks, 4 days - Dr. Appointment

So, a lot has happened in the past couple of weeks since I posted last.  Uncle Andrew got married, Matt and I had our babymoon, we had a surprise baby shower, and I had another dr. appointment.  There are pictures that should be associated with most of the items (which, let's face it, are the reason you all stop by this site) so I'm going to just go ahead and get the shortest one out of the way first.  The rest of the events will be posted through out the week, so stand by for those updates.

I went in for a quickie dr. appointment with Dr. Elliot this morning.  As usual, he was wonderful.  The word perfect wasn't bandied about as it was last time, but he did tell me that I'm gorgeous and to keep up everything I'm doing.  Except my diet.  :(  He asked about my sugar levels and I told him that I saw the endocrinologist, took the 3-hour glucose test, and passed it.  He said that, while I don't have diabetes, my sugars are still higher than normal so I'm giving the baby more than normal sugar levels which can cause it troubles down the road (mostly a large sized baby and trouble stabilizing the sugar levels after its born).  So, he told me to cut carbs and follow a diabetes diet.  Meh.  So, while I don't have gestational diabetes, I have to act like I do.  Except that I don't need to prick my finger and test my blood throughout the day.  <sigh> While it's for sure good news that I don't have it, I'm still grumpy about having to watch my diet.  When he told me to cut my carbs, I told him that I don't eat many since I have Celiac's Disease but that I do eat a lot of fruit and he said that I shouldn't be eating more than one serving of fruit per day.  One per day!  Egads, man!  I eat like 10!  So... that's going to have to change.  Maybe that will be enough to get my levels down to normal.  And, I have to say, it's pretty awesome that I didn't find this out until AFTER babymoon; that way we didn't have to worry about it on vacation.  :)  Good timing, Dr. Elliot.

Other than that, things were good.  I gained three lbs since my last visit, which was three weeks ago, so I'm right on track with weight.  Blood pressure 110 over 70, so I think that's good.  He didn't tell me the heart rate, but it sounded good and strong.  The funnest news, though, came when I asked him how they can tell if I do have a larger than average baby or not.  He told me that they're going to do another sonogram at the appointment after next!  Hooray!!  I'm so excited!  I don't know if we'll get pics from it or not, but I'm so excited to see Baby again and to maybe catch a glimpse of his/her head/face and to find out how big he/she is trending!  He did say that once they're over 8 lbs, it's hard to determine how big they really are.  He said they're pretty good at telling if it's 6 lbs 9 oz or 7 lbs 5 oz, but once it gets to be over 8, they aren't very good at estimating.  I don't yet know when that appointment will be, but the next one is on July 3rd at 3:15.  I'm hoping that the sonogram appt. will be just a week later because then we can schedule it early Monday morning and Matt can come!  Maybe.  I don't really know when we go from every two weeks to every week.  Hooray for sonograms!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the babymoon did you some good! You sound much more relaxed. Not eating fruit would be really hard for me, too. I eat so much fruit that Uncle Eric has dubbed me "fruit bat". But, just think how awesome it will be when baby is born and you can enjoy all that goodness again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!! Aunt Stevie the fruit bat. Hahahaha! I love it!

      Delete