Thursday, June 21, 2012

33 weeks, 0 days - Uncle Andrew Got Married

The whirlwind of events that took place last week began with Uncle Andrew's wedding and concluded with the surprise shower, so we should be all caught up and up to date after this one.

Matt and I ended up staying at a hotel near where the wedding was being held even though it was just outside of Atlanta.  Grandma Rehbein booked us a room for convenience sake, which was really nice.  It made things so much easier and allowed Matt to hang with his family a lot longer while I went to bed good and early.  Matt took Uncle Andrew out for his bachelor party on Thursday night, then the groomsmen went to a swanky barbershop for a shave and a haircut on Friday morning.  This barbershop served whiskey along with the shave, so it was a nice event for the boys.  I got in on Friday and we went almost immediately to the hotel so Matt could be there for the rehearsal.  The rehearsal dinner was at a little Italian place and all guests were invited, which was really nice since it feels like you never really get to see people at weddings.  Uncle Andrew and Aunt Allie handed out very nice, thoughtful gifts to their bridal party.  Matt got lion head cuff links and a fancy flask set.  We debated whether the lion heads signified Gryffindor House or House Lannister but no decision was made really (personally, I think he's too much of a dummkopf to be in either but that's neither here nor there).

I had an exciting moment while getting ready for the wedding.  Matt left early as he was the best man, so I was left to get ready by myself.  Right before I stepped into the shower, I decided to bolt my hotel room door just to be sure the housekeeper didn't come in at a bad time.  It turned out to be a very wise decision because the front desk gave our room away to Matt's cousin, Steven Rehbein (though I'd never met him or his wife, so I didn't know this at the time).  Right as I stepped out of the shower, I heard someone fiddling with the door.  I threw on a towel and ran over to the peephole and was surprised to find two people trying to get into my room.  Again, good thing I had bolted the door, otherwise, I'd have met some extended Rehbein family under very inauspicious circumstances, indeed!  Anyway, after a couple of minutes, they decided that their key didn't work and went down to the desk.  The front desk then called my room and said, "Hi, this is the front desk; who is in this room?"  I responded that I was with Matt Rehbein as part of the Susan Rehbein group.  The girl responded with, "Well, this room is reserved for the wedding."  Yeah, ok, well a) I'm WITH THE WEDDING... check the last name, genius and b) even if I wasn't, how is that my problem?  It's not like I snuck in, illicitly checked myself into a room, and then attempted to sabotage the hotel's reservation system.  Come on!  I told her that I was with the wedding and she hung up in a huff, reminding me to get my keys reactivated.  It was really weird.

Aside from that, the weekend was just lovely. The wedding itself was lovely. The weather was great, the location was gorgeous, bride and groom looked so happy and everyone seemed to have a very nice time. Everything seemed to go very well and Uncle Andrew was just so cute to watch. He just looked so very very happy to be surrounded by so many people that he loved. Many of his college friends were able to make it down and he was just such a joy to watch. Matt's best man speech was really great, but Grandpa Rehbein really stole the show by starting out with a strong speech at the rehearsal dinner then busting everyone up with a few words at the wedding. Grandma Rehbein should have been very proud of her boys that day, for certain. :)

To follow are a few pics of Matthew that I pulled from the photographer's site, since I didn't take any pics at the wedding. You can see my dress in the family pic. I got lots of compliments on it and felt really, really good about how I was dressed, considering I was nearly 32 weeks pregnant at the time. :) It's not much of a belly shot, but the girls at the front desk of the hotel kept chirping over me, over and over. They were really cute and just couldn't stop gushing about how great I looked and how much they hoped to look as good as I do when they're pregnant and how my dress was just so perfect and on and on. It was enough to make me forgive them for being accusatory jerks earlier about the room mix up.  Again, all in all, it was a very nice event and watching how happy it made Uncle Andrew was just about the sweetest thing I've ever seen.



No comments:

Post a Comment