Tuesday, June 19, 2012

32 weeks, 5 days - Babymoon!


As you may or may not know, Matt and I were on our Babymoon from June 10 through June 16 at Lake Wedowee, AL.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term, a babymoon is like a honeymoon, only you take it before your baby comes instead of after you get married.  It's an opportunity to get away and spend time together before the chaos of a new baby enters your life.  We thought it was an important thing for us to do since we don't get to see each other very often and when we do, there are usually a million other things we have to do and people we have to see so that precious alone time is hard to come by.  We chose Lake Wedowee because Matt's parents have their boat docked there and it's an easy place for us to get to.  We talked about a lot of other options, but I wasn't too keen on being at the beach (a) I'm so fat and b) I could get knocked over by the waves and c) I can't drink and d) I don't really want to lay in the sun), I get winded too easily for the mountains to make sense (since I can't really hike around to appreciate them), I don't like spas, and historic touristy destinations are super expensive and again, I get tired so easily that I was afraid we wouldn't appreciate it as much as I should.  The boat just seemed like a perfect place to relax and float around in the water, cook our favorite meals, and be alone together.  And it was.

The cabin we rented was awesome.  We got a great deal for a whole week and the couple we rented from was super nice.  There was a dock right outside the cabin where we tied up the boat, so each morning, it was just a matter of getting out of bed and rolling down to the dock.

The town itself was... interesting.  Wedowee, AL.  I'm pretty sure it's the area Deliverance was based on.  And if not Deliverance, at least My Cousin Vinny.  Matt and I quoted that one an awful lot, especially after we "got mud in our tires."  Amazing, really.  I saw a sign outside a cemetery that read, "Before opening graves, call (xxx) xxx-xxxx."  What the what?!  Is that for grave robbers or what?  Who the heck "opens" graves?  I also saw a sign on the side of a building that read, "YOUR ADD HERE."  So... are we advertising that we have attention deficit disorder or what?  It was all very strange.  The accents were VERY thick, much of the food was deep fried, and believe it or not, there were not many gluten free options in the grocery store.  Our menu became a little more creative than I'd originally planned, but that was fine.  Over all, it was just what we were looking for: laying on the boat reading to each other, floating in the water, cruising around the lake, and cooking our favorite foods, all on nobody's schedule but our own.  The weather was great, the location was beautiful, and everything was just about perfect.  Needless to say, it was very very difficult to come home on Sunday.

Below are a few pics we snapped during the event.  I ended up buying a bikini because maternity suits made me feel like a walrus and I wasn't around anyone besides Matt so I didn't have to be embarrassed by my big belly or my fat thighs.  I draped my swimsuit cover-up over my tummy when I laid in the sun so Baby wouldn't get cooked, which is why my arms look so brown and my tummy still looks so white.





1 comment: