Friday, April 27, 2012

25 weeks, 1 day - Dear Baby

Dear Baby,

As of today, you are approximately 13.5 inches long and about a pound and a half.  I can't believe you're that big.  You still quiet down significantly when I talk, but not completely like you did several weeks ago.  You're getting bigger and stronger seemingly every day.  In fact, these days, you have been waking me up in the middle of the night with your dancing and kicking.  I wish you'd be able to remember this time in utero when you grow up so that you could tell me what it is that you're doing so much in there.  And why you seem to like doing it so much when I'm sleeping.

Your Nana Deb and I spent last weekend shopping at consignment stores to get me some additional clothes to wear as you get bigger and I'm less and less able to continue with my normal things.  We also went to Babies R Us, where she helped your dad and me add more stuff to your registry.  I thought it would be super fun to register for things for you; as it turns out, it's quite a stressful prospect.  How will we know what you're going to need?  How can we know what's going to be best for you?  Nana Deb was a big help in that regard because both your dad and I were a little too overwhelmed to do a good job.

For your dad's birthday this year, you gave him a very nice card with a promise that you would move to Atlanta to be with him.  That was a very difficult decision for me to make, as it means that I'll be giving up my job and the flexibility to see my mom whenever I want to, but it seems to be the right decision for you and for our family.  You'll get to grow up with Gramma and Grandpa Rehbein, all of your Rehbein aunts and uncles, your Terlizzi cousins, and, of course, your father.  It's very sad and hard for me to think about moving away from Washington, DC, which I love and consider home, but when I think of the quality of life you'll be able to experience there versus here, it's the only decision that really makes sense.

In the card where you told your dad that we'd be moving, you included a "Get Out of Relocation Free" card.  Here's what it looked like:


You had it printed on a piece of orange card stock so it looked just like one of the Chance cards from Monopoly, which is what it was based on.  Your dad liked it an awful lot and laughed and laughed and laughed.  He said it was the best birthday gift he'd ever received.  Your Gramma and Grandpa Rehbein were the first people he showed it to and they were awfully pleased, too.  Gramma R took pictures of both the birthday card and the Monopoly card so she could save them.  Maybe we'll be able to find the pictures one day when you're old enough to read so you can see them for yourself.

Have a wonderful next few months, Baby!  I'm doing my best to keep you safe and warm and provide you with all the best exercise and nutrition that I can.  I can't wait to meet you in a few short months!

Love,
Mama 

2 comments:

  1. Ok,we need to get Nana Deb to move to Atlanta!! That will be one problem solved. Two grandmothers nearby are much better than one!

    Phil and I moved many times due to his career while the kids were growing up. I found that "home" was simply the place where our family was all together. It didn't much matter what city it was in. Sure, I liked some places better than others but in the long run the city didn't make much difference.

    Oh, and Baby PR...I don't think we will need to look at pictures of the birthday card your mama and you gave to your daddy. I'm pretty sure your dad will keep that card forever. You will be able to see the actual card some day when you are older. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma Rehbein is right about the original card, baby.

    ReplyDelete