Tuesday, April 3, 2012

21 weeks, 5 days - Introducing Baby Rehbein, I!

"Hey."

So, there you have it, folks! There is, in fact, a baby in there! An uncooperative, surly, unwilling to be photographed baby, but a baby nonetheless! Hooray! Since Baby was being so grumpy, we didn't get the profile pic that is so famous (Matt speculates it's because Baby is aware of his over-sized proboscis and is already ashamed and avoiding head shots). We did, however, get some good ones of him rolling away from the poking and prodding of the sonogram tech. Here are a couple of him doing a somersault of sorts:

I think the spine and bones look really gross but Matt thinks it's super cool. Quite frankly, gross as I think it is, I'm rather pleased that Baby has a spine, so I'm not going to complain too much. I just wish it didn't look so much like something from a horror movie. You know, like a headless, spiny alien.

Also, please note that we are no longer referring to Baby as "Sputnik." Apparently, the due date on my chart was wrong, so when Dr. Elliot told me that Baby was measuring ahead and big, it was because he thought we were working with an 8/24 due date. As it stands, Baby is measuring exactly on track, save for his super long femur. Looks like this little dude is getting those long Rehbein legs. Huzzah! No trollish stumps like his mama! Whoopie!

(Please note that we did NOT find out the gender of the baby. I'm just arbitrarily choosing a gender based on my mood for the day, so please don't put any stock into the use of he/she in my updates)

6 comments:

  1. Ohmigosh!!!!! How exciting! Scrunched up and pretty uncomfortable looking, but definitely a baby! Wow! So amazing how big baby is! I'm so glad you're sharing all this on this blog, it's really fun to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You don't waste any time! I JUST posted that! Pretty cool, huh? I wish we'd have gotten that cute profile pic that everyone gets, but these are kind of fun and they're not the same old same old pic that everyone sees. And remember, this is zoomed way in. Baby is about the length of a banana, so all in all, it's not much bigger than your hand. It's remarkable how cooly developed it is, though, right? I should post a belly pic because I just can't believe there's something that defined growing in my belly and I'm just really not showing all that much. It's so weird. The coolest part was when she was poking it, I could feel it move and watch it move at the same time.

      Delete
  2. Oh, how cool! I love the first photo with the hand waving...kind of like, Hi everyone...here I am! It is rather hard to visualize a baby in the other 2 photos....well, luckily Grandpa Rehbein just came over to the computer to have a look and pointed out that baby is kind of standing on his head with his knees bent in the second photo. Once he pointed it out, I can see it perfectly! (you have to remember we didn't see many sonograms back in the good old days!) It is definitely very exciting to see. It is also rather cool to see these untraditional photos instead of the usual, run of the mill, profile ones! I say "yay for baby" for not following the crowd! Maybe you will be the rare parent who doesn't have to say to your teenage kid "If all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you too?" when they are begging to do something that all their friends are permitted to do. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how much easier it is to see when you know what you're looking at. Ole Gramps is right; Baby is on her head in both of the somersault photos. Her little butt is up in the air and she's got her legs bent in the first one and is in the process of straightening them out in the second. Matt will point out all the detail when he shows you, I'm sure. He was better about seeing stuff in the other pics than I was. There are a couple of the face but at first they don't look like anything. After you see that they're the face, they're so gross and scary that I didn't want to post them. They look like a creepy skull from Halloween or something. He can point all that out when you see him next.

      And I'm so glad you think these "non-tradiitonal" pics are so cool! I was really so disappointed that we didn't get a profile shot; it's nice to hear that you appreciate the "break from the norm."

      Delete
  3. The ultrasound pics are great!! And holy moly look at those legs! I am so so excited to meet my niece/nephew! Please give him or her a nice belly pat from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're just building up to that profile shot! She just wants to keep her public in breathless anticipation.

    ReplyDelete