Monday, July 9, 2012

35 weeks, 4 days - Shower, Sonogram, and Stupidity

Shirley and Germy threw Matt and me a fantastic friends bbq/baby shower this weekend.  Aside from being 103 degrees with a heat index of 110, the day could not have gone better.  I'll post pics when I have them, but here's a little sample of the awesomeness that Ms. Sheri put together:
Please note that the roses are actually onesies.  :)


I had probably six or seven different people come up to me to tell me how much fun they had and for a party of 30ish people, that's a pretty awesome response.  We had a great turn out and everyone seemed to get along great together.  I had two different sets of people who came and didn't know anyone else who reported back that I have really fantastic friends.  What a nice thing to say, right?  And I have to say that I agree.  Sheri and Jeremy worked fabulously together and each played very well to their strengths and just put together a truly wonderful party.  We had so so much fun and it sure seemed like everyone else did, too.

In other super fun news, we had a doctor's appointment today and got a sonogram!  Hooray!  That was super duper fun. We found out that the baby is about 5 lbs 7 oz which is right where she's supposed to be at 35 weeks.  So much for high birth weight baby due to my elevated sugar levels, right?  Hooray!  The sonogram tech spent a lot of time showing us Baby's face because we didn't get to see it at all last time.  Her little nose was smooshed flat so we aren't really sure if it's wide like mine or if it was just super duper smooshed.  We had to wait awhile to see the face well because Baby was sucking on her arm, but here's what we were rewarded with for our wait:

 Pretty sweet little face, don't you think?

But, as the title of this post promised, with good news comes some bad.  I got up early on Saturday to get the house ready for the party and was outside -- doing no more than walking, mind you -- when my right ankle spontaneously twisted.  It chose some awfully bad timing, though, because my left foot --which had a lot of my weight on it already -- was on a small step up.  Not a step.  More like a stone slab.  Less than an inch above normal ground.  My toes snapped back, I went down and it knocked the wind out of me for a good 10  minutes or so.  Oh my lord, did it hurt.  It immediately swelled up and turned black, which was pretty awesome considering I needed to get my house ready for a party that afternoon.  So, I called my mom to see if there's a point in going to the doctor for a broken toe... which I was pretty confident I had.  She told me that they really just tape them together, so I didn't go to the Emergency Room.  I buddy taped it myself and went about my day, cleaning and preparing and partying and generally gimping around.  I complained about it to most people, but was pretty ok for the most part.  Until I looked at it afterward.

After standing on it for about 14 hours, my foot had swollen almost twice its normal size and the bruising had spread from the outside of my foot all the way to my big toe and from my toes all the way to my ankle.  Eek.  Matt got me some ice and we elevated it in bed.  The next morning, it was stiff and hurt more than it had the day before.  Matt tried to convince me to go to the ER, but I was being stubborn and told him that there really was no reason.  We compromised by saying that I'd ask the OB at my appointment today to just look at it and tell me if I needed to see a doctor about it.  Which we did.  And she did.




She walked me over to the orthopedic doctor's office across the hall and got me an appointment.  Where the orthopedic doctor told me that he did not think I had broken my toe afterall.  In fact, he thought I broke MY FOOT.  <sigh>  So, while I do have my toe professionally buddy taped to the one next to it, I am also in a big, stupid, bionic boot that makes me walk like Robocop (see similar boot to the left).  I get to keep it on for 6-8 weeks... which means right through delivery.  Not really part of the "birth plan," if you know what I mean.  Oh well.  At least it wasn't my ankle or my hip or my face or my baby. But I'm very sad about it all the same.

This is a long post so I'll cut it short, but we also had birthing class on Sunday and got our hospital tour. Which was neat. Class was a little more intense than I'd hoped, but Matt said that he learned a lot and we got to see a live birth. And it gave us some good questions to talk to our doctor about. So all in all, it was a pretty awesome three days, with a little stupid sprinkled in.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely a sweet face! How amazing!!! Holy cow, smoosh nose or no smoosh nose, he/she looks pretty cute to me!
    And as for the foot, well, at least it will force you to take it easy through the last part of your pregnancy and as a new mom. Not so bad, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's so amazing how much of the face you can see right now. Baby looks like a cabbage patch kid to me. :) As for the foot, I'd like to take it easy but I have all that packing to do so it's really just inconvenient. Everything is so much harder anyway when you're very pregnant that this just feels like a mean and cruel jape. :( But, as mom reminded me, it could have been so much worse. What if it had been my hip or my femur or even the baby, you know? So thank goodness it was just my foot. I wasn't wearing my St. Gerard medal because it was first thing in the morning; looks like I need to start wearing it to sleep, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That face is so stinkin cute! I also got quite a kick out of your "cabbage patch kid" remark. Ha! I'm sorry to hear you broke your foot. How is it feeling?

    ReplyDelete