Wednesday, May 2, 2012

25 weeks, 6 days - Glucose Screening Results... sort of...

So, anyone who has been reading these postings knows that I've been a little nervous about my diabetes test (or, as they call it in the industry, my glucose screening) because I'm supposed to be at a higher risk for gestational diabetes due to the family history of Type I.  As Matt reported on Monday, I had my blood drawn for the screen and was able to call for results as early as Tuesday morning.  When I called yesterday, they told me that the results weren't in yet and that I should try again in the afternoon or the next day (which is today).  I tried yesterday at 4:15, but the office closes at 4:00, so I just missed them. No biggie.  Results would be ready this am, right?  <sigh>

The receptionist I spoke with pulled up my file and said, "Um, I have no idea what this means.  Let me talk to the doctor."  After a couple of minutes, she got back on the phone and said, "Um... so... there's a discrepancy with your results so Dr. Lashgari doesn't want me to give them to you yet.  Basically, they're still pending.  We'll call you if there's a problem."  A little flustered, I asked if I'd hear anything if there wasn't  an issue and she told me that I would not.  So I asked when I could expect to hear if there was, in fact, a problem.  She said it shouldn't be more than three days, so if I haven't heard anything from them in three days, everything is normal.  Blerg. 

I was not reassured by these results.  It does not put my mind at ease with regard to the possibility of having diabetes.  Again, I know it wouldn't be the end of the world if I do and that it would likely go away after I have the baby, but I still don't want to have it.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update:
The doctor called me back about 10 minutes ago.  Apparently, the "discrepancy" is that the lab screwed up and I need to retake the test.  While it doesn't put my mind at ease about having diabetes, at least it wasn't some oddly abnormal results that they wanted to have rerun.  The doctor gave me several options on what to do and I chose to just do the same test over again.  She said that it's supposed to be done between 24 and 28 weeks but, if I want, I can just do it at my next appointment.  I'll be 29 weeks then, but she said it will be fine.  She also said that in most cases, with someone of my age with my height and weight ratio, she'd just say "screw it" but she doesn't want to do that with me because of Daddy.  She repeated that I'm at increased risk due to his history.

Sooo... yeah.  I'm going to pick up the bottle of glucose drink tonight on my way home.  The Dr. also said that I can come in without an appointment if I'm starting to worry.  Since it's just having my blood drawn, I can just pop in and pop back out.  That's a nice option to have, too.  But I'll probably just wait until my next appointment.  The office isn't far away, but it's not really on my way anywhere either.  So it's back to the drawing board as far as diabetes results are concerned.  Blerg.

No comments:

Post a Comment