Friday, February 10, 2012

14 weeks, 1 day - First vs Second Babies

So, I had an interesting experience yesterday. As you may or may not know, there's another girl (Mika) on our project who is pregnant. She is due one week before me, so it's been kind of neat to listen to her progression (though nobody knew about mine so I was listening secretly). This is a girl who is about 5'5" or 5'6" and probably weighed somewhere between 115 and 120 when she got pregnant. She runs marathons and does triathlons. She did a 50k before she found out that she was pregnant. She is, by any definition of the word, extremely fit. She works remotely from North Carolina and was in the office for the first time since getting pregnant. And she is showing. Big time. Like big, big time.

I kept looking at her then looking back down at myself and shaking my head. Could a week REALLY make that much of a difference? Really? Everything I've read has said that you show later with your first baby than you will with your later ones, but man, it was so bizarre to see it in real life. She is so fit that I'd just assumed her tummy muscles must have gone back to normal and that it would be like her first baby all over again. Especially since it's been 7 years since her first one.

Anyway, it was really pretty neat to see the difference that having been pregnant once before makes. Everything I've read said that I should start noticing something in the next month to 6 weeks, so that'll be fun. I hope I'm as cute as Mika when I finally do start to show. She is ADORABLE.

2 comments:

  1. Well, you are ADORABLE even when you aren't pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, aww. :) what a nice thing to say. Thank you. :)

      Delete